What to Expect
We gather for worship every Sunday at 10:30am EST. Currently, our services are entirely online so that we can stay safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. We welcome guests and visitors at every service! Join us HERE.
What should I wear? You should wear what makes you feel comfortable! Most of us dress casually–jeans and t-shirts are welcome–and while we’re online, we might even be wearing pajama pants!
What is a service like? Every service is a little different, but most services share some commonalities:
- A Welcome and Opening Words
- Lighting our Flaming Chalice, the symbol of our Unitarian Universalist faith
- Affirmation of our Congregational Mission
- A “Time for All Ages”
- Instrumental music and singing
- Readings (from both ancient and contemporary sources)
- Sermon, by our Minister, a guest, or a member of our congregation
- Time to share our joys and sorrows, a
- Prayer and/or meditation,
- An Offering, where donations are taken for the congregation or for justice work in our community.
We use an online slide show so that we can all participate in or follow along with shared readings and singing.
Do I have to keep my video on? Nope! While we love being able to see who’s joining us, and see each other’s faces, we don’t all join with video.
My internet quality is poor. Can I call in on the phone? Yes! E-mail Rev. Elizabeth for information about how to join our service over the phone: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have programming for children and youth? We do! While we are meeting online, our services are all-ages services, meaning our children and youth join our Sunday services. We look forward to returning to faith formation programing when it is safe to gather together again.
Do I have to talk? We invite everyone to participate in the chat, but no one is required to. After the service, we gather for a social time and you are welcome to join us for that if you’d like. At that time, you’ll also have an opportunity to meet with Rev. Elizabeth and one member of the congregation in a breakout room to learn more about our congregation, Unitarian Universalism, or to ask questions.